If you work for yourself, you understand that although it offers an exciting and independent opportunity, it isn’t always what we dreamed it would be.
Being self-motivated and accountable for your own actions is not easy and when the going gets tough, sometimes it’s easy to take a nap, grab a coffee with friends, or simply do nothing at all. And while it is certainly okay to let yourself off the hook at times, we also need incredible discipline and motivation to build our business. Having no structure and working solo is hard. All humans thrive on interaction and a social setting and extended periods of being in isolation can take its toll.
I know this all too well. I’ve been working for myself for well over a decade. Actually, there have only been a few times in my life that I actually had a job. I have thrived and I have lost my way. With any endeavor you’ll probably experience both sides of the coin too. If you’ve been fortunate enough to have ongoing success, then you have discovered the winning combination of hard work, great service, an important product, and possibly, ideal timing. But, if you find yourself in a lull or questioning your choices, just know that you aren’t alone.
Constantly re-creating yourself or your business along with ongoing self-promotion takes A LOT of energy. For example, remaining on social media for hours just to bring awareness to your mission can be exhausting and is quite different than being there to connect with old friends.
Here are some things that you may want to consider if you’re in the middle of a self-employed career crisis:
- Hire a Coach– Sometimes we need assistance. Consider bringing in an expert who can guide you through your next steps. A professional coach can help you to re-evaluate and come up with a new plan for your career and your life.
- Get a Job– To the entrepreneur, this seems like the ultimate failure, but there is nothing wrong with getting a job. Even a part time, new career can break up the monotony of your day-to-day routine. Creating a different setting, fresh energy, and new people along with having a place to go everyday especially if you work from home, may be exactly what you need. It doesn’t mean that you’re giving up. In fact, it may spark new ideas and creativity that has been missing in your business.
- Less Can Be More– When you’re self-employed, taking time off to do something fun often instills guilt. Thoughts like “ but I need more clients” or “I haven’t made my numbers” come to mind and even when we do create down time, often we don’t enjoy it fully. Begin allowing yourself to let go and work less with more leisure time. You may be surprised at the new leads and opportunities that come from putting yourself out there socially, especially with a renewed sense of ease and openness.
- Change it Up– If things get too monotonous in our life, it may be time for a change. Perhaps it’s time to move homes, take up a hobby, or have a short weekend getaway to re-fuel. Shaking things up in our life from our morning routine, to our living situation or the gym we go to each day, can help us to look at the world through new eyes. We all become creatures of habit so maybe it’s time to change it up!
- Move On– If you’ve been working, striving, and pushing to make things happen, and if you’ve considered the previous steps to no avail, then maybe it’s time to move on. While giving up your self-employed dreams can feel heart-breaking, it may be exactly what you need to bring in new energy which can totally transform your life! What if your focus and tenacity at work has been blocking new love or an exciting collaboration that is better than you envisioned? Remember, the Universe always has your back. Letting go of the old or outmoded way of being and opening up to a place of less resistance may be precisely what will bring you even more joy, fulfillment, and prosperity than you ever imagined.
Jay Bradley is a Youthful Aging, Wellness & Lifestyle Coach Living in Los Angeles. http://www.JayBradleyLifestyle.com
He is the Author of LIVE LOOK FEEL, The 12-Week Guide to Live Longer, Look Younger & Feel Better!