Many people take better care of their cars than they do their bodies. We are quite disciplined when it comes to changing our oil, washer fluid, and maintaining our regular service.
But when we think of a full body detox or cleanse we get nervous. We picture going without food for days or taking a bunch of powders, pills, and potions and suffering along the way. While some major detox programs can be difficult, there are simpler ways to give your body and organs a rest. We can make small changes today that can provide a gentle, yet effective cleansing. Here are some ideas:
- Drink Water – The easiest way to cleanse our body of toxins is to commit to drinking more filtered water. Purchase a 32 oz. non-BPA plastic or stainless steel bottle and make it a point of filling it at least twice per day. This assures that you drink your minimum of 8 glasses daily. If you’re active, more water is likely required. For extra detox support, add organic lemon or lime to your water.
- Milk Thistle – The active ingredient in milk thistle is called Sylmarin and it has powerful antioxidant and potent liver-supporting properties. It acts to gently cleanse your liver from toxins and impurities. Milk thistle also has powerful anti-inflammatory effects. Make sure to use an organic supplement and take it daily throughout the year or cycle off and on for 3-month periods.
- Infrared Sauna – This wonderful detox literally warms our body from the inside out and causes our system to sweat out toxins and impurities. Sweating is one of the safest and most natural ways for our body to cleanse. Look online for an infrared sauna health spa near you.
- Fresh Vegetable Juice – We are all familiar with the lengthy 7 or 10-day juice cleanse but consider doing 1 day only of fresh, organic green juice. This easy to follow regiment will give your body a break from processing foods and you’ll find yourself feeling lighter, more clear, and energetic.
- Intermittent Fasting – This fasting program isn’t as difficult as you may think. For 2-3 days per week try eating your last meal by 8pm and don’t eat again until noon the next day. Drink as much water as you’d like and feel free to have coffee in the morning but avoid solid foods for approximately 16 hours. This not only gives your organs a break, but it kick-starts your metabolism and helps you to burn fat too.
- Epsom Salt Soak – The most simple cleanse of all is taking an Epsom salt bath. The active magnesium sulfate in the salts work on detoxifying heavy metals, chemicals, and toxins from your system while gently relaxing the muscles. Add your favorite essential oils for an added Zen experience.
- Activated Charcoal – Activated carbon also known as activated charcoal can be found in powder or supplement form. It is most often made from the ash of hardwood trees or coconut. The porous surface of charcoal has negatively charged ions that work to attract and excrete positively charged toxins, poisons, and other buildup. Follow the directions on the bottle.
*Always consult with your physician before beginning a new supplement, herb, or fasting program.
Jay Bradley is a Youthful Aging, Wellness & Lifestyle Expert Living in Los Angeles. http://www.JayBradleyLifestyle.com
He is the Best-Selling Author of LIVE LOOK FEEL, The 12-Week Guide to Live Longer, Look Younger & Feel Better!