We’ve all heard of Spirulina but few of us know about the unbelievable benefits that it can have on our health. What most people might describe as fishy, slimy, or just plain awful, may hold nature’s secrets to anti-aging and longevity.
Spirulina is one of the oldest life forms on our planet. It is classified as a blue green algae that grows mostly in salt water lakes and oceans but also in fresh water too. It is jam packed with vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, and vegan protein. In fact, Spirulina contains more protein than meat, chicken, fish, and soybeans. It is extremely high in the antioxidant Beta Carotene, and is rich in amino acids, iron, Vitamins A, E, and B, and heart-healthy fatty acids.
Many health experts recommend Spirulina for it’s amazing ability to detox the blood of heavy metals, toxins, and even radiation exposure. Vegans are also super fans of this superfood because it really is the perfect plant-based food.
The latest buzz about Spirulina is that it has a positive effect on the thyroid gland which balances our metabolism along with a myriad of other bodily functions. This is mostly because Spirulina is very high in Iodine which has been shown to strongly support proper thyroid function.
Some of the additional benefits that people experience from taking Spirulina is a strengthened immune system, increased energy, better cognitive function and alertness, and it has been shown to support eye, brain, and cardiovascular health.
Even if you aren’t a vegan or vegetarian, the benefits of taking Spirulina daily are immeasurable. Look for an organic, raw capsule or powder and consume it daily. Approximately 2000-3000 mg per day is a good place to begin and you can eventually supplement up to 10,000 mg per day. The powder can be added to smoothies or juice if desired.
Nature really does know best and I for one am so happy that it produced this perfect food which can not only slow our aging process but also give us increased zest and vigor along the way!
Jay Bradley is a Youthful Aging, Wellness & Lifestyle Expert Living in Los Angeles. http://www.JayBradleyLifestyle.com
He is the Best-Selling Author of LIVE LOOK FEEL, The 12-Week Guide to Live Longer, Look Younger & Feel Better!
Summer is here and who doesn’t want more beautiful, vibrant skin just just in time for the beach or your upcoming pool parties? Here are 5 foods/herbs that will help give you that youthful, healthy glow from the inside out and the outside in. You’ll also receive numerous other health benefits!
- KRILL OIL – Krill are tiny crustaceans that live deep in the ocean. The ones from the Antarctic are best because they are mostly free of toxins and chemicals. They are packed with a powerful antioxidant called Astaxanthin which helps to lower your risk of sunburn and works to reduce sun and age spots. Krill also has loads of Omega 3 oils which reduce inflammation and soothe fine lines, wrinkles, and puffiness. Take 1000mg of Krill oil capsules everyday, eat sardines, wild-caught salmon, and flax and chia seeds.
- COCONUT OIL – Coconut is everywhere and for good reason. It is one of the worlds most potent superfoods! It contains Vitamin E and Essential Fatty Acids which literally soothe your skin from the inside out. Coconut also has anti-fungal effects so it may soothe skin rashes including psoriasis and excema. Use Coconut Oil topically as a moisturizer and put 2-3 Tbsp in your smoothie, with your eggs, or spread it on toast instead of butter.
- ASHWAGANDA & TURMERIC – These two herbs have been used for thousands of years in the Indian Ayurvedic tradition. They are known to reduce inflammation in the body which helps reduce fine lines, wrinkles, and puffiness. They also reduce stress and lead to a deeper, more restful sleep. We all know how much better we look after a great night’s sleep right? Topically they can both be used as a facial mask along with raw honey, and coconut oil to help alleviate acne and rosacea. Take 1-3 grams per day in capsule form.
- KOMBUCHA TEA – Why not sip on iced Kombucha Tea this summer instead of regular? This fermented tea is a powerful probiotic which helps to bring back important healthy bacteria to our gut. Our gut is our second brain and everything that goes on there including our skin’s condition, starts with our gut. Kombucha reduces inflammation which helps with more beautiful skin and will lower the risk of rashes and other imperfections.
- BRAZIL NUTS – All nuts and seeds are great for our skin but Brazil nuts are packed with the antioxidant mineral called Selenium which fights free radical damage and may lower the risk of sunburn. Brazil Nuts also contain Essential Fatty Acids which literally moisturize our skin from the inside out. One handful of Brazil Nuts gives us 10x our daily allowance of Selenium.