Getting adequate sunshine is ESSENTIAL for our health. Proper levels of Vitamin D from the sun promotes improved wellness in almost every aspect of our body. Obviously too much sun at peak times is where problems such as sunburn and skin-related aging comes in. It is advised that we get 15-20 minutes of sunshine each day without sunscreen but at NON-peak hours (avoid peak times 11am-3pm)
The rest of the time, use a quality sunscreen on all exposed skin. When purchasing sunscreen please keep these things in mind:
AVOID Oxybenzone, Retinyl Palmitate, and Parabens which have been linked to hormonal disruption, skin irritation, and more.
REPLACE WITH Zinc Oxide, Titanium Dioxide, and other Natural Ingredients.
For the face, I love the anti-aging effects of TNS Total Defense + Repair by SkinMedica.
Summer is here and who doesn’t want more beautiful, vibrant skin just just in time for the beach or your upcoming pool parties? Here are 5 foods/herbs that will help give you that youthful, healthy glow from the inside out and the outside in. You’ll also receive numerous other health benefits!
- KRILL OIL – Krill are tiny crustaceans that live deep in the ocean. The ones from the Antarctic are best because they are mostly free of toxins and chemicals. They are packed with a powerful antioxidant called Astaxanthin which helps to lower your risk of sunburn and works to reduce sun and age spots. Krill also has loads of Omega 3 oils which reduce inflammation and soothe fine lines, wrinkles, and puffiness. Take 1000mg of Krill oil capsules everyday, eat sardines, wild-caught salmon, and flax and chia seeds.
- COCONUT OIL – Coconut is everywhere and for good reason. It is one of the worlds most potent superfoods! It contains Vitamin E and Essential Fatty Acids which literally soothe your skin from the inside out. Coconut also has anti-fungal effects so it may soothe skin rashes including psoriasis and excema. Use Coconut Oil topically as a moisturizer and put 2-3 Tbsp in your smoothie, with your eggs, or spread it on toast instead of butter.
- ASHWAGANDA & TURMERIC – These two herbs have been used for thousands of years in the Indian Ayurvedic tradition. They are known to reduce inflammation in the body which helps reduce fine lines, wrinkles, and puffiness. They also reduce stress and lead to a deeper, more restful sleep. We all know how much better we look after a great night’s sleep right? Topically they can both be used as a facial mask along with raw honey, and coconut oil to help alleviate acne and rosacea. Take 1-3 grams per day in capsule form.
- KOMBUCHA TEA – Why not sip on iced Kombucha Tea this summer instead of regular? This fermented tea is a powerful probiotic which helps to bring back important healthy bacteria to our gut. Our gut is our second brain and everything that goes on there including our skin’s condition, starts with our gut. Kombucha reduces inflammation which helps with more beautiful skin and will lower the risk of rashes and other imperfections.
- BRAZIL NUTS – All nuts and seeds are great for our skin but Brazil nuts are packed with the antioxidant mineral called Selenium which fights free radical damage and may lower the risk of sunburn. Brazil Nuts also contain Essential Fatty Acids which literally moisturize our skin from the inside out. One handful of Brazil Nuts gives us 10x our daily allowance of Selenium.