This is one of my FAVORITE recipes! It’s simple, delicious, and so nutritious. While squash is normally served in the fall and winter, why not enjoy this comfort food all year round and reap the amazing health benefits including high levels of Beta Carotene, Vitamin C, Minerals, Anti-Inflammatory Properties, Omega 3 Fatty Acids, and Phytonutrients.
(Organic Whenever Possible)
1 Whole Sweet Onion
1 Medium Sized Butternut Squash
6 Cups of Vegetarian or Chicken Stock
2 Tbsp Vegan Butter
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 Tsp Sea Salt
2 Tsp Coarse Ground Pepper
1/4 Cup of Pure Maple Syrup
2 Tsp Turmeric
1/4 Cup of Pumpkin or Sunflower Seeds
1/4 Cup of Coconut Cream
– Additional Spices if Desired Including Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Curry, Ginger & Garlic Powder.
– Peel squash, remove seeds, and cut into chunks.
– Peel onion and cut into small pieces
– Sauté onions on medium heat with butter and olive oil until transparent (approx. 5 minutes)
– Lower heat and add 6 cups of broth along with the squash.
– Add spices of your choice
– Bring to a boil and then simmer for approximately 15 minutes or until the squash is tender
– Mix in Maple Syrup
– Toast pumpkin or sunflower seeds in a non-oiled frying pan over medium heat until golden brown
– Put soup ingredients into a blender or Vitamix and blend until it becomes a smooth puree
– Pour into bowls, top with a dollop of coconut cream, toasted seeds, and a sprinkle of your choice of spices