I am ALL for being optimistic and thinking positive. I believe that we can to some degree, create our destiny using affirmations, a focused mindset, and the power of intention. But if you’ve tried to implement the law of attraction you may have found that things don’t always go as planned.
Sometimes life can take us in a totally different direction than we wanted, and often, it ends up being exactly what we need.
Lately, the message that keeps coming to me is “what if this is as good as it gets?” What if our life doesn’t improve from where it is today? How would we feel if that miracle job, relationship, or adventure didn’t happen at all? I don’t mean to revert to a negative or pessimistic attitude but rather, I’d like to create a new way of living and thinking, one that brings us back into this moment. The ONLY moment we have.
When we spend time wanting, desiring, needing, and day dreaming about things to come, we totally miss what is directly in front of us. And even if the current situation is challenging, we can learn to find within that moment, truth, growth, pain, acceptance, and perhaps even more love and gratitude than we ever thought possible.
We wouldn’t be human if we didn’t have dreams and I am not suggesting that we ditch those fantasies because in many ways, they are what sustain us. An underlying faith that life will get better keeps us from sinking too low when times are tough.
But there is a certain amount of surrender that needs to take place once we’ve set intentions for something new to come. We can learn to envision it, feel it’s presence and then gently let it go with a deep knowing that it will show up…or perhaps something better. And by better, I don’t necessarily mean what appears positive to those looking on. Better may mean something that trumps the fancy car, ideal mate, or windfall. It may just be the thing that we need to help us grow in a totally new direction.
What if this is as good as it gets? Would you be okay with that? Would you be able to dig deep and find love, joy, appreciation, and satisfaction in what may seem boring, monotonous, or disappointing? Being present, accepting what is, and squeezing every bit of juice out of our day-to-day experience may be the key to living a full and rich life.
Chances are very good that your life WILL improve and that many of your dreams will come true. But just for today, why not live as if this is as good as it gets and see what comes of it. I have a feeling it may open you up to a whole new depth of richness and beauty in even the most mundane of experiences.
Jay Bradley is a Youthful Aging, Wellness & Lifestyle Coach Living In Los Angeles. http://www.JayBradleyLifestyle.com
He is the Best-Selling Author of LIVE LOOK FEEL, The 12-Week Guide to Live Longer, Look Younger & Feel Better!
While I’m no fortune teller and can’t guarantee what the future holds, one thing is pretty clear; how we feel today is a good indication of what is to come in the future. Our emotions act as our internal GPS or guidance system as to our final destination.
For years there have been books and speakers touting the power of the law of attraction and quantum physics. What we think about long enough becomes our reality. To make this even more clear, I believe it is what we feel that attracts the strongest and those emotions then create our thoughts. Often this can be a down-right scary concept for those who deal with ongoing depression, negativity, worry, sadness, or fear-based thinking. Talk about bringing us even more to worry about!
It is often suggested by many experts that we simply choose a different thought. Snap out of it basically and choose differently. If only it were that easy.
Some days when everything is going well and we’re happy and rested, feeling good comes as second nature. But what about those days where we feel lethargic, heavy, or we’re dealing with a scary or painful event? What then?
As somebody who deals with depression and anxiety myself, I know first-hand that it isn’t always easy. And if we’ve been stuck in the same cycle for years, it can be difficult to find the inner faith or belief that things will ever change.
But here are some practical tools to begin implementing into your life so that you can “snap out of it” and move into a more positive frame of mind and emotional space.
- SAY THANK YOU – When your life feels down and out, finding things to be grateful for can be hard. But this is exactly what we need to do. We are responsible to train our minds and focus on the positive. By writing down a minimum of 5 things that you’re grateful for each morning, you will notice a renewed sense of optimism that you didn’t feel before. No matter what is going on in your life, you can find 5 things that you’re thankful for. Start small and be consistent even on the days when you feel good. This regular practice will eventually begin re-programming your inner dialogue.
- GET CREATIVE – Find something that feeds your soul and makes you feel good. Often, we literally have to push ourselves to do something fun! What is it for you? Did you give up on your painting or singing or dancing years ago because you were busy or it was too expensive? What’s missing in your life? What truly makes your heart sing? What energizes you? Once you answer then commit to making it happen. Don’t let the need to be perfect stop you from enjoying the pleasure of a creative task.
- START DREAMING AGAIN – I for one gave up on my dreams this year. I got very practical and thought “why bother.” Sometimes the pain of not achieving what we want kills our spark. I dare you to start dreaming again. What the heck do you want to do in life? What is your biggest and most outrageous vision for your future? The one that you’re afraid to voice for fear of sounding crazy. Yes, that one. Bring it back into the forefront of your mind and feel deeply the emotions that it brings up when you meditate and visualize its outcome. Do it daily and see how quickly the Universe responds to bring you the right people, circumstances, and events to make it happen.
- FIND A HEALER – Sometimes we are so blocked that nothing seems to help. This is a time to hire somebody to assist you. Often you’ll need to experiment to find the right fit. Try hypnosis, Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT), talk therapy, Reiki, life coaching…something! Don’t just wallow in your unhappiness, do something about it once and for all. If you continue to do what you’ve always done, you’ll continue to get what you’ve always gotten. Shake things up and decide today that YOU WILL MOVE THROUGH THIS no matter what!
- GET INSPIRED – Nothing helps you out of a slump more than reading an uplifting book or listening to an inspiring audio during your drive. Go and see a live performance or visit the art gallery. We all need to be reminded of this stuff and nobody walks around permanently happy and optimistic. It takes work. Re-charge your spiritual, creative, and emotional batteries daily. Not once per week but daily. If you want to change your future, you’ll need this more than ever.
None of us are in this alone. We all get down at times and sometimes we remain there for far too long. If we can just get our good days to outweigh the bad, we WILL begin to see a positive shift in our life. Uplifting events and people will be drawn to us like magnets. The better it gets, the better it gets.
As my shaman reminds me often, “it’s okay to be okay” but in this case, I am suggesting to you that “it’s okay to be GREAT!” You have permission to be happy, to shine, to thrive, and to live the life that you truly dream of.
Jay Bradley is a Youthful Aging, Wellness & Lifestyle Expert Living in Los Angeles. For More About Jay and to Book a Wellness Coaching Session, go to: http://www.JayBradleyLifestyle.com
He is the Best-Selling Author of LIVE LOOK FEEL, The 12-Week Guide to Live Longer, Look Younger & Feel Better!
As a certified wellness coach CWC I’ve worked with people all over the world to help them achieve a healthier and happier balance between their body, mind, and spirit. My goal is to dig in, find out where they’re off balance, and then session by session, work to assist my clients in regaining and rediscovering a new way of living that better fits their goals.
Many of them want to lose weight, increase physical energy, or look and feel younger. While all of these are important, we come to realize as we work together that it is what’s inside that counts the most. We learn, as a team, that true balance, happiness, and wellness is ALWAYS an inside job.
If we look at quantum physics and the study of matter, we know that everything in life including the computer or phone that you’re reading this on, is in fact, energy. In essence all “things” are simply molecules bouncing around.
When we look at our physical body and our level of health for example, these too are made up of energy. The question then becomes, what gets our energy moving in a positive direction? The answer is our thoughts and emotions. Thoughts are the basis of everything that we desire. Past thoughts have created the life that we are living today and if we want to know where we’ll be in a week, month, or year from now, we need only look at today’s thoughts and inner feelings. By doing this we’ll know without much doubt what is to come.
All experiences in our present moment can be pinpointed to thoughts and beliefs that we had a week, month, or years ago. So in order to make changes in our life and improve our health, we must change our self-defeating thoughts. When we take more control and become the change that we want to see from the inside out, it’s a very empowering way to live.
This can also be one of the most challenging aspects of our journey. Many of our thoughts and beliefs are habitual and unconscious and it can be difficult to change the ones that have been with us since childhood…difficult but not impossible.
If we are dealing with a health crisis it can take even more strength and discipline to tap into that positive vibration of total healing within us. But the more we begin to catch our negative or self-defeating patterns, fears, and negative dialogue and then immediately changing them into positives, the quicker we experience shifts for the better.
Creating a morning practice that involves journaling, meditation, quiet reflection, and reading uplifting books is the beginning of putting your inner self first. When we carve out this time we begin to make our emotional and spiritual life a priority and this is where the magic begins. When we turn inward and pay attention to that quiet voice of intuition within us and we begin to get conscious of our thoughts, the right people, circumstances, and opportunities begin to show up almost effortlessly and our health often begins to improve. The ideal healer, doctor, coach, or specialist will appear with synchronicity to help speed the process along.
As I have learned in my life and through the experiences of my clients, ANYTHING is possible and change IS attainable once we begin to do the inner work of releasing negativity, fear, and limiting thoughts. When we work from the inside out and then the outside in, we have a recipe for true success in all areas. It doesn’t always happen over night but it is quite possibly the most important priority that we will ever make.
Jay Bradley is an Anti-Aging, Wellness, and Lifestyle Coach living in Los Angeles.
He is the author of LIVE LOOK FEEL, The 12-Week Guide to Live Longer, Look Younger, and Feel Better!